Saturday, March 20, 2004

Frankfurt to Strasbourg to Paris to Strasbourg

Nancy (Tyler's mum) and Chelsea (Tyler's 15 year old sister) arrived safely March 10, and even made it through the bomb scare at Frankfurt airport. We had rented a car the night before and drove to pick them up. It was easy to find Frankfurt airport and the roads are awesome (I love Germany). However, we did encounter a snowstorm on the way and thought we were going to be late. As it turned out, we were waiting for them to get through the bomb scare.
The next couple of days, I had to go to school to do work and Tyler showed them around Strasbourg, in the freezing cold. Chelsea, Tyler and I went and saw Big Fish Thursday night, and it was pretty good - and in the biggest movie theatre in France (although we didn't get to see much of it). Friday afternoon we left for Paris. We decided to take the not-so-good roads to avoid tolls. We printed off instructions from www.viamichelin.com as other students had previously used this. Well, after driving through a ton of small towns, which was exciting at first, and down some crappy highways in the pouring rain with lines of trucks splashing water at us, we arrived just outside Paris. But we had some major problems finding the hotel as it was outside of Paris and Paris absolutely sucks for signs and roads. Finally we arrived at the Comfort Inn in Bezons at 10:30 at night. We ate burgers at a little place across the street as the hotel restaurant was already closed, which was strange for France as they usually don't start dinner until 9pm.
The next day we went to Champ Elysses and walked up the street to Arc de Triomphe. We then walked down a pretty cool street to some Palace across from the Tour Eiffel. We had a nice lunch in a little cafe and then went to the Eiffel Tower. We waited our time in line and went up. It is pretty awesome, and it was nice to not be quite as nervous as last time - for some reason I was a little scared of heights last time. After we took in the awesome view in the nice weather, we went over to Les Halles to do a little shopping. Chelsea and I shopped for about an hour while Tyler and Nancy waited bored for us. But Chelsea found a green shirt for St. Paddy's Day and some really cool earrings at H&M! We dinner nearby at then took the metro and bus back to the hotel to crash for the night.
Sunday we first went to Sacre Coeur, which I had never been to (finally something that I hadn't already done). It was really cool. We were there during a service which was cool and kinda weird at the same time. I liked it a lot because it is so different from all the other millions of churches I've seen in Europe. It is also on Montmarre which is the highest point in Paris, besides the Tour Eiffel. We had a cool view of Paris from a different direction. The weather was nice and we chilled for a bit below the church while some guy played a harp. Then we went to Notre Dame, which I hadn't been into, so that was something new as well. It kinda looks like the Strasbourg Cathedral, but with some more stained glass, so not too exciting. I know, I know, I'm a European snob now.
Next was the Louvre, for about 2 hours, but still cool. We got to see the stuff we wanted to see from "The DaVinci Code" so tres cool. By that time we were exhausted and headed back to the hotel to bust out of Paris. However, somehow we ended up in Versailles, after saying we couldn't possibly get lost leaving Paris. I say we should definitely follow Tyler's lessons learned next time:
1 - don't drive in Paris
2 - don't let tyler have a map ever :)
Eight hours later we made it home. Fun!!!
THis is it for now, it's dinner time.

No comments: