Monday, April 26, 2004

First Day of Work

I have survived the trip to Bremen with Cari, survived getting our flat, and now have survived the first day of work.
I didn't start until 10am so I got to sleep in a bit, however I know I still need quite a bit more sleep. I started the day off with a tour of the buildings and facilities by my boss Dr. Slenzka. We then set up my office - yes, I have my very own office! - with my computer, a phone hopefully tomorrow, desks, chairs, everything :) I have mostly been reading documentation from previous experiments and current ones. But that'S pretty much what a first day anywhere is about (Cari spent the day doing the same thing). I had lunch at the CROUS of Bremen (student cafeteria) so I got to see a bit of the University. It will be nice to be near to other students and to stuff going on. This afternoon again was reading and trying to find a German language class to take. Although, I may pick up more German here than I picked up French in France because I am surrounded by it everyday. Even Windows and everything on my computer is German. (which is ok, until some sort of problem arises - those are hard enough to deal with in English)
So this evening I am going to try and find a sim card so that I can have a working phone. But I don't think I will be able to get internet at home though - just will have to do it at work after work or at the Uni library somehow.
Oh ya, so Cari and I made it after driving all night. We stopped for 2 hours to sleep and arrived at 7:30am. We slept in the car outside the Housing company for 2 hours before we met with our landlord. We did all the paper work and went to the house. Some of you may have already heard me say this, but our flat is pretty cool. We have: washing machine, dishwasher, big tv, cable, dvd player, cd player, vcr, surround sound, balcony looking out onto a courtyard garden, a living room, each our own bedroom, microwave, large (for Europeans) fridge, nice bathroom with hands-free shower! etc. And we live right on the tram line (my bedroom window over looks it) and overtop of a bakery, yum! So it's pretty cool, considering I'm paying 235€ here instead of 420€ in Strasbourg for just a room and a crappy kitchen. So we lucked out considering we took whatever we could get.
OK - I have to stop now so that I can get back into town in time to buy a sim card.
ISU students - keep me posted on your experiences!
Victoria crew - keep Tyler busy!
Everyone - miss you and love you all, see you in 3-4 months!!!

No comments: