Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Five days left in cold, rainy Bremen

Yes, I am excited to leave Bremen. But mostly because the weather is much nicer in the places that I am going to. And also to see my friends and eventually family again.
I have only 3 days left of work - wow, that went fast! And therefore, 3 days left to put the finishing touches on my report and make my presentation. Lots of time....

Friday night, we were lazy and didn't go out to a club. We rented Zoolander instead, which was just as good (Cari and Dinesh had somehow never seen it!!) Saturday, we cleaned house then went out shopping again...dangerous. But mostly for Cari. I just spent the rest of my birthday money on things that I had been wanting for a while - a bag, some wicked 3.5 inch heels, a shirt and some belts. Not too shabby. Cari on the other hand is single-handedly supporting the clothing economy of Bremen. But that's okay, she probably didn't buy as much as me in Strasbourg. So after all the spending on Saturday, we watched another movie - this time "Along Came Polly", which was surprisingly funny. Mostly because Ben Stiller was an organized planning freak like me :)

Sunday morning Cari and I got up early and got picked up by Matthias to head to the North Sea, near Cuxhaven this time. It was about an hour drive and when we arrived it was of course raining. But we ventured out onto the beach. And then took our shoes and socks off...Cari and I were getting worried at this point...and proceeded to walk out into the water. But it was low tide with a large beach - like in Parksville or Long Beach, but bigger. We saw all sorts of cool things - clams burrowing back into the sand, worms, crabs - but were very cold. The wind was blowing so strong that we couldn't tell if it was raining or if it was water blowing off the ocean. Needless to say, we were soaked and our feet numb. It would have been much better if it had been warmer but was still a cool area. The had horse carriage rides out to an island about 3km away - that's how much the tide was out! We were also going to go on a crab fishing boat, but we were too cold to wait until 7pm to do it so we had a hot chocolate and returned to Bremen early.

Sunday night we watched Schindler's List. Which wasn't nearly as depressing as I expected and had heard. It was a very good film, and in fact inspirational. PS We rented so many movies as we are very close to getting a free rental, which we had to do before we leave!

So this week involves report editing, presentation preparation, packing up etc. Lots to do in the next little while. But I am looking forward to seeing everyone again and enjoying some sunshine.

Technical Note:
After July 16th, I will no longer get email at my work address. You will have to reach me either through hotmail or my school address. I will also not have a phone or an address until I return home on Aug. 19th. If you can't get me by email somehow, I will be reachable at ISU in Strasbourg from July 23-30.

See everyone soon!!!!

No comments: