Monday, June 11, 2007

Outdoor season has arrived!

Yeah! The hiking/biking/swimming/laying in the sun season has pretty much arrived. The Grouse Grind opened the May long weekend so I've been 4? times now. We aiming for going once a week and I think we will do it. We all bought passes to Grouse Mountain, Jen's off work now, and Nicole wants to get/stay in shape for her wedding in August - all good reasons to keep us motivated.
Last weekend we did an evening hike to Lynn Valley suspension bridge which was pretty cool. We had a nice picnic dinner at the bridge and got out of the forest just before dark. I was also in Victoria last weekend to visit my cousin and her husband and two children who were visiting my parents and grandma from Grande Prairie. Her kids are pretty darn cute: 16 month old Kaitlin and 3 month old Riley. A handful though. So I went to visit them, but ended up shopping with my sister and buying a new bicycle. I'm excited, it's one I looked at about a year ago; it will work for commuting and also for racing in triathlons. Tina bought a bike and she's been riding every day to work, to my parents, to get groceries - good work!
So the rain finally stopped today and I got to go for a ride. I wanted to do a test ride to work to see how long it would take, but I felt a little cold coming on yesterday so I thought I better not. I was also worried that I would get rained on. But I rode to the Choices Market at Edmonds Skytrain station and that took about 15 mins. Man are there a lot of hills around here :) I think it will take me about 1.5 hours to get to work, so I should probably do a few more small rides before taking that on in the early morning. The ride was basically good, but I was having some troubles with my front derailer on the way there and my chain fell off on the way home. I just need to take it into Reckless Bicycles to get an adjustment.
What else? Doing the Grind tomorrow after work and planning on doing a hike on Bowen Island on Saturday. Strawberries should be ready to be picked this week too (www.bcstrawberries.com). Then Ty is done school on June 22th (yeah!) and the July long weekend we are going camping at Manning Park with an overnight hike the last night. So many plans this summer, time is just going to fly by.
Haven't been doing much running, I'm more interested in other things at the moment, and it gets too hot to run in the summer. Speaking of heat, we finally got the cellular shade for our skylight and I think it will make a huge difference in keeping our place a lot cooler this summer (it better for the price!).
I'm looking forward to Ty being done school so he can enjoy the summer too. Hopefully he'll get addicted to the outdoors too:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great summer. Just wanted to point out that Riley is 3 years old and that #3 is on the way.