Sunday, June 13, 2010

San Francisco Trip



I just went on a business trip to San Francisco to attend the Atlassian Summit. The conference was mostly about software, collaboration, and tools to make our jobs easier. I was mostly interested in Confluence as hopefully we will be using it shortly as our wiki platform and finding out how others use it. I learned a great deal and am actually excited to get back to work and try to implement some of these things.

Also, it was in San Francisco, which is one of my most favourite cities, and we had lots of fun with some great people. I wish I had taken more photos, but I didn't even bring my camera with me.
Some of the best parts:
  • Cable car ride from my hotel (at Fisherman's Wharf) to the conference downtown
  • Dinner at LUCE Restaurant that was way too fancy for us but delicious. Anyone ever had tomato water before? Strange but good!
  • 'After party' on the 31st floor penthouse suite at Intercontinental Hotel - what a gorgeous room and view - video here (I'm at 2:25)

  • Free Anchor Brewing beer- mmm...
  • Party at Jillian's complete with billiards, rock band competition, blackjack & poker and of course free food and drink
  • 'After party' at John Collins bar- awesome room but had a few too many shooters :)
  • Chilling in the sunshine between sessions at Yerba Buena Garden
  • Tea tasting in Chinatown
  • Impulse purchase of a silk dress in Chinatown
  • Crab chowder in a sourdough bread bowl at Fisherman's Wharf
  • Sunset from beach in front of Ghiradelli Square with views of Alcatraz & Golden Gate Bridge with dinner at McCormick and Kuleto's
  • Walking the wharf at Pier 39 after hours and listening to the sea lions roar
The weather was gorgeous and I did not want to leave. However, as it always is, when I flew into Vancouver my heart skipped a beat as I love this city and all it's beauty. It is the best place in the world to return to.

Lessons learned from this trip:
  • I 'need' an iPhone, or at least a phone with wifi capabilities, especially in a city with wifi everywhere
  • I want/need to travel more, but also need to do more hiking again at home
  • I miss having friends all over the world and need to stay in better touch with the ones I do have still
  • I like 'techie' stuff
  • I'm going to try skiing again this winter since I don't seem to be committed to snowboarding

2 comments:

jen said...

well i can definitely help with the hiking and maybe the skiing too... i'd really like to try backcountry skiing this year. maybe we can plan for a trip to elfin in the new year :)

Nicole said...

Where the heck did the skiing fit into that? I love San Fran too. Unfortunately, I went when I was smack in the middle of pregnancy shittiness, so didn't get to enjoy the yummy food (or shooters) nearly as much as I should have. We should do a girls San Fran trip some time!